I suggest you ...

Combine the Advanced Filter Bar with Standard Tribe Bar

It would be great if the advanced filter bar completely replaced the standard bar once installed. This was we can maintain the functionality of both, but only have a single filter/search bar on the screen. Right now it is a bit confusing to have two separate filters. I have noticed several complains on the forums and on the feature request page stating that viewers are becoming confused by the filter options and unable to find their desired events. Although many solutions have been proposed, I think merging the two bars would mitigate a majority of the concerns and reduce space consumption.

Alternatively, it may be ideal to move all standard filter option except Search to the advanced filter bar and leave the search bar separate. That was themers and developers can integrate it into their design a bit more.

I would recommend looking at TicketMaster as an example. You will see their advanced filter on the left with all possible filter options and their search box at the very top right. See below:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/section/sports?tm_link=tm_homeA_b_10004

I think this is your best option if you want to be a best-in-class solution.

66 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas DavisThomas Davis shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Thomas DavisThomas Davis commented  · 

Wow got a significant amount of votes. Lets keep going!

• Anonymous commented  · 

I'm having an issue with users being confused with the two different bars, especially when resetting the filters. I'd love to see this get done.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I couldn't agree more. I know it will be an issue on my website events page.
        For now, until a permanent fix is found, I going to have to try (if it's possible) to put a warning note on the page so that people don't get confused.

• HansHans commented  · 

Yes, I see this happening with our users as well. Would love to see both bars combined.

Some other features would help enhance the Filter Bar as well:
        - Highlighting the search term in the results, if a search term is entered in the standard search bar
        - A warning message that, when not ALL results are showing, states that X out of X events are showing. Maybe the standard Search Bar could be given a different color, or something, to point out that something has been searched and therefore the results below are filtered already, before even using the Filter Bar itself

See https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/reset-filters-feature-somewhat-counterintuitive-when-using-search-field/#post-1187607 as well for some more insights on how the Filter Bar could be improved in relation to how userfriendly its perceived

Feedback and Knowledge Base