I suggest you ...

Add true Subscribe Functionality for iCal & Google

Downloading an iCal file is NOT THE SAME as a true subscribe to calendar function where users calendars are updated automatically with new events, changes to events and so forth. It's a total disappointment to find out that the other suggestion was closed when it the suggested feature was clearly not implemented. Having a static download is actually worse because users think they've subscribed and never get updates and have no reason to believe that they aren't getting the latest info.

70 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nichole shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are planning to add this functionality when we have some open development resources to complete it. Thank you all for your patience!

This snippet changes the “iCal Export” buttons to be webcal:// links, which suggests to calendar applications that they should subscribe instead of downloading the .ics file.

It requires The Events Calendar version 4.6.5 or newer.

https://gist.github.com/cliffordp/be034504a2c530495b7d58e704352069

Please reference https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/implementing-custom-code-snippets/ for how to implement custom code snippets and let us know how this works for you.

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If someone adds an event to their personal calendar from our Event Calendar Pro we have no way of pushing updates in the case of a venue change or cancellation of the event. If someone adds an event to their personal calendar, we should be able to push update notifications as required.

• KY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure if this works for you all, but webcal://yoursite.com/calendar/list/?tribe_paged=0&tribe_event_display=list&ical=1&tribe_display=list
        appears to let me subscribe to the calendar without a time limit.

* please note that my calendar is located at mydomain.com/calendar/ instead of my domain.com/events/, so you may need to change this to /events/

Hope this helps.

I wonder if anyone has a snippet or knows how to make a snippet that would allow the export link to be changed to the above URL.

Please share a link to the snippet if you do! Thank you.

• Carolyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I inserted this in functions.php, it caused my navigation menu to stop working on mobile devices. Soon as I removed it, the navigation menus came back. There is a conflict.

Please address this issue and provide an improved solution that works.

Thanks.

• Jason Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can subscribe using webcal://www.mydomain.com/events/?ical=1 in Apple Calendar or Google Cal. It grabs the current month's events.

If this function could be extended to pull *all* future events (or have an option for how many months in the future to push through the subscription), it'd be nearly perfect. The other option that would make it perfect is if people could subscribe by category.

I use it for a school district and we have a category for each sports team. Parents would love to subscribe to the teams their kids are on along w/ district events.

• Tinley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you so much to those who opened Feature Ideas regarding this, for those that saw that a previously added feature gave download, not true subscription functionality, and to everyone who voiced their opinion about the necessity of this feature. Cheers!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important feature to add. It is crucial to the vision of our community calendar project. I am glad to see others recognize the need for it. We do not need duplications of calendar events that can get out of sync with other calendars when the organizers change details! We need true subscriptions that stay up to day. Also, please populate all the fields -- venue, organizer, recursion. The iCal and google saves don't populate the venue and organizer fields even though these fields are in the iCal standard. The name of the place where something is occurring is just as important as the address. (imagine an event at a theater without the theater name. Or an event at a school without the school name, or a church. Makes no sense to leave the place name out.)

• Mike M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry Tribe, the many posters are right: this should never have been closed, and there's no excuse for calling the current implementation complete. If it's hard to implement, just say so. Otherwise, this needs to get done ASAP. We are a premium customer with a site update in progress, and if a competitor offers true SUBSCRIBE not repeat NOT EXPORT functionality I will be pushing to switch.

• Haneef Ibn Ahmad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very simple, the plugin author just needs to make the 'Export +' button a drop-down list and add the following prefixes to URLs:

For Google Calendar support: https://www.google.com/calendar/render?cid=myicsfeedurl
        For Outlook/Apple calendar support: webcal://myicsfeedurl

myicsfeedurl=http://wpshindig.com/events/?ical=1&tribe_display=month

It's such a simple add, I'm surprised it hasn't been added yet! I'm looking at this official version of the demo: http://wpshindig.com/events/

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not going to import the calendar we use every few days to capture updates. Please make the ics google compatible.

• Wayne Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the original poster. A nice to have on top of this is the ability to subscribe to a website's specific calendar events by categories, thus if someone was interested in an organizations narrower set of activities, they would not have to see the activities they don't have interest in. This would further aide the subscriber, whereby they typically setup different personal google calendars to manage activities separately.

• Jonas Böttcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be awesome to let the user safe any event to his private calendar like google calendar, outlook, yahoo. Today it seems to be possible to export an event as .ical only. But this is not comfortable.

Maybe it is an easy way for you to integrate a third-party plugin like https://www.addevent.com/, or you may build your own.

thanks, joe

Feedback and Knowledge Base