I suggest you ...

Prevent duplicate events from Facebook event aggregator feeds

Problem description: We have feeds from many local organizations' Facebook event pages. Many of these groups share each other's events on their pages -- as people do on Facebook. When their events pages get fed into the calendar, we get duplicate events.

Proposed solution 1: I believe each Facebook event has a unique Event ID number that follows it wherever it is shared. So the same event can be displayed on numerous groups' FB pages but Facebook keeps track of it as only one event. Can you please add the Event ID number to the inputs you feed in from Facebook feeds? Check that ID number against other events already on the calendar and ignore it if it is a duplicate.

Proposed Solution 2: Create a utility that periodically checks if the there are any events whose fields are all identical to the fields of another event and ignore them if so. (This is not as good as the first solution because for a time multiple events will exist, but it would be better than my having to weed out duplicates by hand.)

Note: The Timely Calendar somehow prevents duplicate Facebook events from happening, so (1) I know it can be done and (2) I know I must not be the only one with the problem because Timely addressed it.

Thank you in advance for your help! You are great.

5 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea