I suggest you ...

Option to change Google Maps to other Maps provider

USE Open Street Maps as it is free. Google maps is no longer free!!!

33 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sand shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DarkHorse441 commented  · 

Charging for the Google Map API just killed our option of using it on our site. We need an alternate, free version!

• Eric commented  · 

Oh yes Open Street Maps ! The new billing policy from google is going to hurt a lot of sites.. We really need an alternative. I've a request from a site that will needs 2000+ markers on their map in france. Besides the credit card on file at Goggle bugs me, a lot...

• Sirbasku commented  · 

I also would like to be able to use MapBox instead of Google Maps. Google is switching their pricing structure and a key is required. Google will be free for our usage however they require a credit card onfile. MapBox requires installing a key as well that is free under a certain usage limit, however they do not require a credit card if your site stays under the limit.

We use another plugin that used to use google maps exclusively, but now they added an option to use MapBox so users of their plugin can continue free map use without registering credit cards with google maps.

It would be nice if you also could use either map provider based on which access key is installed at the site.

• JP commented  · 

+1 here too for adding another map service! Yes please, do get ahead of the curve and implement it soon :=)

• Anonymous commented  · 

Continuing my previous comment... I suggest you get ahead of the curve and start implementing an alternative now, before you get bombarded with complaints from people who didn't know or forgot about the Google Maps billing change.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Starting June 11, 2018. Google is going to force everyone to have billing accounts to use the Google Maps API. Even with the free 200$ credit, I don't want to send any billing information to Google and would prefer to use a free alternative, such as OpenStreetMap.

• Sushi commented  · 

+1 for Open Street Map: Especially for customers from the EU this is very important because of the EU-DSGVO!

• Anonymous commented  · 

+1 for Open Street Map (OSM)!

• WebSource commented  · 

Great Idea! Would love to use Here Maps!

• Anonymous commented  · 

I have been using your plugin for a while now, and since my business is in China, there's is no or limited access to a lot of google services, including maps. Now I disabled all reference to google services and naturally, the maps in event calendar are not showing anymore. It would be nice to have option to:
        a) switch to alternative maps provider (like bing or openstreetmap)
        b) just display address as is, without a map.

thanks

Feedback and Knowledge Base